Why You Need Wills & Estates Lawyers
Wills & Estates are a very sensitive topic that requires compassion and understanding. At Thomas and Associates, our attorneys are dedicated to providing you with wills and estates planning.
As Vancouver’s top-rated wills and estates lawyers, we recognize the need for professionalism and extreme care when handling wills and estate planning. Our lawyers at Thomas and Associate have extensive knowledge of laws, rules and best practices related to wills & estates in Vancouver that will help you gain confidence moving forward.
Defining wills & estates planning
A will is a legal document prepared beforehand which takes effect only when the person who prepared it dies. A will’s sole purpose is to redistribute the wealth, guardianship and estate of the deceased according to his or her desire.
Applying for a grant of probate is a very important part of wills & estate planning. Probate is a process whereby the Supreme Court of British Columbia must validate the will left by the deceased. Retaining a lawyer can be helpful if any uncertainty arises about the validity of the Will or the interpretation of its terms.
Do I Need an Estate Planning Attorney?
Why it’s important to have a lawyer assist with estate planning?
- Assisting with applications for probate: Probate can be a costly and time-consuming process (usually takes up to 6 months). Only an experienced lawyer may help you prepare all the necessary documents to make the process as painless as possible.
- Looking after beneficiaries: The amount of wealth does not matter when it comes to protecting beneficiaries. An estate plan would help protect minor beneficiaries or adult beneficiaries from handling too much responsibility too soon. Before a minor reaches the age of majority (also known as becoming an adult in law) it is equally important to appoint a guardian who would take care of a minor’s needs and finances.
- Reducing estate taxes: Estate planning can significantly reduce the tax burden payable by your estate. Consulting an experienced lawyer will help you reduce estate taxes using estate planning techniques.
- Avoid family disputes: A worst case scenario is when close relatives turn against one another over material things. Unfortunately, family disputes can happen to any of us but there is a way to reduce the likelihood that it will happen. Consulting a highly professional lawyer is a key to make sure the beneficiary inherits whatever, whenever and however the will-maker wants it to happen. A great deal of money, time and most importantly relationships can be saved by estate planning.
- Taking care of minors: In the unlikely event of early death, it is important to make sure that the kids are appointed a guardian. It is difficult to think of events unraveling this way, but it is worse to know that your children would be raised by someone you barely knew. Without a properly drafted will, the courts will make the decision of who gets guardianship over the children.
Why choose Thomas and Associates:
When it comes to loved ones, the monetary values are set aside. A single provider for the family, a grandparent with a lot of kids, and every other individual wants their loved ones to be taken care of even when they are not going to be around.
At Thomas and Associates, we have an experienced team of professionals dedicated to supporting you in making any will & estate planning decision. Our Vancouver wills and estates lawyer, Sabina Beesley, is very approachable and thorough. She can prepare wills, powers of attorney, representation agreements, as part of your estate plan.
With over 38 years of combined experience, we want each one of our clients to feel comfortable and secure when it comes to dealing with a sensitive matter like drafting a will or appointing guardians. Dedicated to client excellence our team of professionals will take into consideration every detail and support you through the different stages of wills and estates planning.
We are pleased to offer the following services related to wills and estates:
- Drafting and revising wills;
- Drafting Powers of Attorney;
- Applying for estate grants (including grants of probate);
- Making Wills Variation Claims (when a will is challenged)
We understand the importance of trust in all our client’s relationships, therefore to help us earn yours we offer the first hour of consultation with a Thomas and Associates lawyer at $135.00.