Top Ranked Prenuptial Agreement Attorney & Asset Protection Lawyers
At Thomas and Associates, our lawyers are specialized in asset protection and prenuptial agreements.
Divorce can be one of the most difficult life decisions to make. In many cases, emotions and judgment stand in the way of resolution and healing. Having competent, professional legal guidance can make the process less stressful and empower you to move forward with the next phase of your life.
We know that you may be going through one of the most difficult times of your life and our goal is to alleviate the stress and burdens that arise from legal proceedings. From day one, we are focused on protecting your rights and moving you through the process as efficiently and compassionately as possible.
Our committed lawyers can see the ‘bigger picture’ and can address the interdependent relationships among many areas of the law. We approach all our clients with a tailor-made service that fulfills your asset protection needs.
What Are Asset Protection and Prenuptial Agreements?
Your home, your vehicles, your lifestyle and your family’s future. There are many things in life that you may want to protect. As the saying goes, “life happens,” and when you least expect it, you may find yourself in need of options to help protect what you’ve worked so hard for.
Asset protection planning involves protecting yourself, your business, and your hard-earned assets from divorce.
A prenuptial agreement, also known as a marriage agreement, is a contract between two people planning to marry that determines the rights they have to each other’s property. Prenuptial agreements are used to control how property will be divided in the event of divorce or the death of one of the spouses.
When you get married, the law gives you and your spouse certain rights to each other’s property. This includes property you acquire during your marriage and may include property you acquired before you were married. A prenuptial agreement can restrict the rights of a spouse to property acquired before marriage or a marriage-like relationship. In other words, separate property can remain separate.
A problem in many divorces is deciding how to divide property. Many prenuptial agreements are entered simply because couples do not want the courts to decide on asset distribution should the marriage end.
What Can & Can’t be in a Prenup:
A prenup CAN include the following:
- Inheritance of property
- Spousal support obligations
- Ownership of property (What is joined separately and/or jointly)
- Division of property (In the event of separation or death)
The following CANNOT be included in a prenup:
- Child support
- Custody or access to children
Why You Need an Asset Protection Lawyer:
Our asset protection lawyers are experienced in helping clients apply the law to protect their assets when family law disputes arise.
Thomas and Associates can give you legal advice that will help you make the most of your asset protection plan. In addition, we can help you keep it within the bounds of the law. Here are a few reasons you why you need an asset protection lawyer:
- Reduce Stress: Divorce and family upheavals are inherently stressful and can be overwhelming without competent legal representation. Our asset protection lawyers will handle negotiations, paperwork, court appearances, and all legal requirements, allowing you to focus on your family.
- Review of Legal Documents and Binding Agreements: Having an experienced family law attorney review your legal documents and agreements will give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that those documents represent your best interests and desires.
- Avoid Costly Mistakes: Our team of lawyers have thorough knowledge and understanding of the law and are equipped to handle the legal complexities of family law matters.
- Reduce Delays: Our lawyers thoroughly understand the legal process and the procedure of BC’s family courts; we can guide you through the process to avoid unnecessary delays.
- Protect Yourself and Your Children: In the highly emotional environment surrounding family disputes, one party may attempt to cause physical, emotional or financial harm. In the face of some type of threat, we will help you to obtain a protection order or financial restraining order to keep you, your children and/or your assets safe.
Why Choose Thomas and Associates
No two-family law cases are exactly alike. We address each one with extensive knowledge and resources, empowering our clients to make the best possible decisions.
We value our clients’ needs and believe lawyers should be responsive, approachable, and available. We seek understanding of each client’s unique situation by developing and nurturing solid relationships and finding the most pragmatic and efficient solution.
“I have found Thomas & Associates to be what I call the three E’s. Efficient, Effective and Extremely pleasant to deal with. They are the kind of company that dot the I’s and cross the T’s. Also every department within Thomas & Associates, lawyers, assistants, paralegals, finance/billing and reception has been both professional and delightful to deal with. I actually missed them all when my case was over. And above all they get results. I have been very happy with the firm and I would recommend them.”