Family Law in BC
Family law concerns any legal matter about issues that pertain to family relationships. This means that matters such as divorce, child support, spousal support, child custody, paternity and asset division all fall under the jurisdiction of family law.
BC Family Law
What Can a Family Lawyer Help Me With?
Some common areas for family lawyers to deal with include the following:
Marriage & Cohabitation Agreements
- It is always a good idea to go into a committed, marriage-like relationship with a clear and practical plan in place.
- Marriage and cohabitation agreements can outline how a couple will divide their assets in the event of a separation as well as lay out expectations regarding distribution of finances and domestic labour during the relationship.
- Family lawyers can help you deal with both contested and amicable divorce.
- Get assistance creating a separation agreement that is fair to both parties.
- Under the Family Law Act, both married couples and couples that have been in a marriage-like relationship for over two years are considered “spouses” and are obligated to equally share any property, or debt that has accrued during the span of the relationship.
- Couples who wish to divide their assets differently may do so by drawing up an agreement that will govern their rights and obligations during a relationship.
- When children are involved, it is essential to make a plan regarding child custody, child support, s. 7 special expenses, and various other matters.
- Always consult a lawyer to make sure that your child’s best interests are put first during a separation.
- Wills & estates are not necessarily family law matters, but many family lawyers specialize in this area as well.
- Get help drafting your will.
- Make sure you have the best estate plan in place for what will happen to your loved ones when you are gone.
Family Lawyers Vancouver, BC Trusts
It only makes sense that you want to hire some of the best family lawyers in BC to help with your situation. After all, your family is the most important thing. Whether you need assistance with prenuptial arrangements, divorce, child custody, or estate planning, our team at GK Thomas and Associates has extensive experience in every aspect of family law.